|Previous Page||Next Page||Return to Index|
Nov. 28, Laurence M. Kortright and Ethel C. Jones were united in marriage.
Dec. 24, Lewis E. Walker died, aged 45 years. He had been in the employ of the Saratogian 32 years.
Dec. 25, Mrs. Sarah D. Wheeler died.
The year 1894 was notable for the fact that the first floral fete took place in that year. The idea was conceived by Franklin Smith, proprietor of the House of Panza (now Masonic Temple). The first fete was a beautiful spectacle and was witnessed by over 50,000 people.
Jan. 8, W. B. Huestis purchased the Foley house in South Broadway.
Jan. 13, Carey B. Moon, aged 82 years, died. Mr. Moon was born in Hartford, Washington County, in 1813. In 1853 , he established Moon's Lake House, Saratoga Lake and it rose into prominence at once. Mr. Moon was the originator of the famous Saratoga fried potatoes or Saratoga Chips.
Feb. 19, Mrs. Virginia M. Perry, daughter of Thomas J. Marvin, and the wife of Dr. John L. Perry, Jr., died.
Feb. 26, A reception at the Saratoga Club was largely attended, given in honor of James M. Marvin's 86th birthday.
Mar. 2, Colonel William M. Searing died. Colonel Searing was born in Saratoga Springs, Dec. 1, 1821, the son of Richard Searing and Hannah Stanley. His father was one of the earliest settlers of this region, coming from Rhode Island in 1788, and settling on a farm, one mile west of the High Rock Spring. He began to study law when 18, and read law with Judge W. L. F. Warren, and Judge William Hay. In 1861, he enlisted three companies for the Civil War, two in Saratoga, and one in Greenfield. These formed the neucleus of the Thirtieth New York State Volunteers. The regiment was organized by Colonel Edward Frisbie and William M. Searing was commissioned major. He was made lieutenant colonel, March 11, 1862.
In the second battle of Bull Run Col. Frisbie was killed Aug.30, 1861 and Major Searing was made colonel. Returning to Saratoga, he resumed the practice of law. In 1844, Col. Searing married Caroline M. Huling, daughter of Beekman Huling. They had five children Beekman H. Searing, who died last year; the Rev. Richard C. Searing; The Rev. Samuel S. Searing, Edward J. Searing, and Miss Caroline M. H. Searing, who died here Feb. 13, 1926.
The month of March marked the death of three very prominent residents. March 3, The Rev. Alexander Proudfit died. Mr. Proudfit came to Saratoga In 1857. He was born in Salem, Washington County, August, 1810. His father, Alexander M. Proudfit, was born in Peora, Pa. in November, 1770 and was married to Miss Susan Williams, daughter of General John Williams of Salem. His grandfather, the Rev. James Proudfit was born in Scotland in 1732 and came to this county in 1784. The Rev. Alexander Proudfit was one of the oldest living graduates of Union College at the time of his death. He married in 1843, Bella Williams, daughter of Richard Williams of Newburgh.
Mar. 3, Chauncey Livingston Williams died. He was born in Greenfield in 1817. In his early life, he was steward of Congress Hall, when Henry H. Hathorn was the proprietor. Later he engaged in several business enterprises, conducting for several years, a meat market. Afterward he establisheel a trucking business, employing a number of men. Still later he became proprietor of the Williams Brick yard, situated about two miles west of the village. Three surviving children, were Mrs. M. H. Humeston, Mrs. Benjamin F. Bloomfield, and Albert G. Williams.
Mar. 9, E. R. Waterbury sold his jewelry business to Frank C. Maynard.
Mar. 24, The Rev. Herbert M. Gesner accepted a call as pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church.
Mar.25, William B. Taylor died. June 1, The Windsor Hotel opened.
|Previous Page||Return to Index|
|Next Page||Return to Saratoga County Home Page|